At the Shanghai Auto Show, Porsche unveiled a new version of its flagship sedan, the Panamera Turbo Sonderwunsch. The Sonderwunsch, which means “special request” in German, is a customized model that showcases the capabilities of the Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur. Porsche's division offers bespoke personalization options for customers who want to make their cars unique and tailored to their preferences.
The Porsche Panamera Turbo Sonderwunsch is based on the Panamera Turbo S, the most powerful and fastest variant of the Panamera lineup. The Turbo S has a 4.0-liter twin-turbo V8 engine that produces 620 horsepower and 604 pound-feet of torque. It can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 2.9 seconds and reach a top speed of 196 mph. The Turbo S also features a hybrid system that adds an electric motor and a 17.9-kWh battery to the drivetrain, boosting the total output to 690 horsepower and 642 pound-feet of torque. The hybrid system also allows the Turbo S to travel up to 31 miles on electric power alone.
What Makes the Sonderwunsch Special?
The Porsche Panamera Turbo Sonderwunsch is not just a regular Turbo S with some cosmetic changes. It is a one-of-a-kind creation that reflects its owner's individual taste and style. The Sonderwunsch features many exclusive elements that distinguish it from the rest of the Panamera models, such as:
- A metallic green paint that is reminiscent of the iconic Porsche 911 Carrera RS 2.7 from the 1970s. The paint is applied by hand in several layers to create a deep and rich color that changes depending on the light and angle.
- A carbon fiber roof that reduces the weight and lowers the center of gravity of the car. The roof also has a double-bubble design that adds a sporty touch and increases the headroom for the rear passengers.
- A sport design package that enhances the aerodynamics and the appearance of the car. The package includes a front apron, side skirts, rear diffuser, and spoiler. All these components are made of carbon fiber and painted in the same green color as the body.
- A 21-inch Sport Classic wheel set that is exclusive to the Sonderwunsch. The wheels have a five-spoke design and a high-gloss black finish. They are fitted with Pirelli P Zero tires that offer optimal grip and performance.
- A black and green leather interior that matches the exterior color scheme. The interior features sport seats with green stitching and Sonderwunsch logos on the headrests. The dashboard, center console, door panels, and steering wheel are also covered with black leather and green stitching. The floor mats and seat belts are also green, creating a contrast with the black carpet and upholstery.
- A Burmester 3D high-end surround sound system that delivers a premium audio experience. The system has 21 speakers and a 1,455-watt output. It also has a 3D sound feature that creates a spatial sound impression that envelops the passengers.
- A Porsche Communication Management (PCM) system provides various infotainment and connectivity functions. The system has a 12.3-inch touchscreen that can be controlled by voice, touch, or gesture. It also has a navigation system, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, wireless charging, and Wi-Fi hotspot. The system can also be integrated with the Porsche Connect app, allowing the owner to access various car features remotely, such as locking and unlocking, climate control, and battery status.
How Much Does the Sonderwunsch Cost?
The Panamera Turbo Sonderwunsch is not a mass-produced model that can be ordered from a dealership. It is a custom-made car requiring a special customer request and close collaboration with the Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur. Customers can choose from a wide range of options and features to create their personalized Panamera. The process can take several months and involves multiple consultations and approvals.
The price of the Sonderwunsch depends on the customization level and the options the customer selects. The base price of the Panamera Turbo S is $187,700. The Sonderwunsch can add up to $100,000 or more to the final cost, depending on the complexity and exclusivity of the modifications. The Sonderwunsch is not a cheap car, but it is a rare and valuable car that reflects the personality and passion of its owner.
Why Did Porsche Create the Sonderwunsch?
The Panamera Turbo Sonderwunsch is not the first customized model that Porsche has created. The Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur has been offering personalization services for Porsche customers since the 1980s. The division has produced iconic and sought-after Porsche models, such as the 959, the 911 Speedster, and the 911 Turbo S Exclusive Series.
The Sonderwunsch is the latest example of Porsche’s commitment to fulfilling the wishes and dreams of its customers. The Sonderwunsch is also a way for Porsche to showcase its craftsmanship, innovation, and heritage. The Sonderwunsch combines the best of both worlds: the modern technology and performance of the Panamera Turbo S and the classic style and charm of the 911 Carrera RS 2.7.
The Sonderwunsch is also a response to the growing demand for luxury and exclusivity in the automotive market. As more and more customers seek to differentiate themselves from the crowd and express their individuality, Porsche offers them a chance to create their own masterpiece. The Sonderwunsch is not just a car, it is a statement. It is a car that says: “This is me. This is my Porsche.”